We use cookies to improve your experience on our website. By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more by reading Cookies OK


Can I get legally married in Tahiti? 
Yes, you can be officially married at the town hall with the mayor in office. We recommend you begin organising the required documentation at least five months before arriving in Tahiti.
Are ceremonies at the resort officially recognised?
No, ceremonies performed at the resort are purely traditional Tahitian with no legal and/or religious binding.
Do you organise same-sex weddings? 
Who will assist me with preparations? 
Our skilled concierge team will assist with all wedding preparations.
What type of wedding package do you offer?
We offer a legal wedding at the town hall, a traditional wedding ceremony at the resort and a renewal of vows ceremony on the resort beach. We also offer a combined legal and beach wedding package. 
What is the difference between a traditional wedding ceremony and a renewal of vows ceremony?
The main difference is the number of dancers and musicians involved, as well as the costumes. If you would like a more simple wedding ceremony, a renewal of vows is the best option.
Do you offer photography or video services? 
Yes, you can choose to have photography only or a package for both.
How long does the wedding ceremony usually take? 
Approximately 25 minutes.
What other services do you provide for couples who get married at your resort?
Romantic dinners, spa treatments, private sunset cruises, floral arrangements, hair and make-up, honeymoon amenities and much more.
Do you rent wedding dresses and suits?
Our traditional wedding package includes traditional costumes. The renewal of vows ceremony includes white pareos. If you would prefer to wear a dress and suit, please bring your own outfits. 
What time of day do you stage weddings?
We usually organise them for the afternoon at 4pm, or at 10am for couples who prefer a morning ceremony.
Do you have a hair salon on the property? 
No, but we can arrange for a hairstylist to come to your villa. We can also make arrangements for a makeup artist and stylist.
Do you offer manicures and pedicures? 
Yes, at Deep Nature Spa.
Is it possible to have fireworks at the resort for our wedding? 
For security and safety reasons, we cannot offer fireworks at the resort.
Can we bring our own cake for the wedding? 
No, you can’t bring any outside food.
Can I supply my own wine and champagne? 
Yes, you can bring your own wine or your own champagne, incurring a corkage fee. 
How many people can we invite to our wedding? 
The maximum capacity is 250 people.
Until what time can we celebrate our wedding in your resort? 
You can celebrate until 10pm if you’re in the garden or until 2am if you’re using one of our reception rooms.
Who do I contact if I need more information?
You can contact our concierge team at concierge.tahiti@ihg.com
Our team will be more than happy to assist you in preparing your application.
What should I do first?
Overseas visitors are required to first select the date of the ceremony. It is advisable to choose several dates to make sure that the City Hall of Faa’a, Tahiti, has availability. Please note that the marriage cannot be celebrated on Sundays and holidays.
What are the conditions to get married in French Polynesia?
1. Both spouses must be at least 18 years old.
2. Bothe spouses must not be already married in France or overseas.
3. The spouses must not have a relationship in direct lineage (i.e. marriages between ascendants, descendants and allies in the same lineage, between brother and sister in the collateral lineage and between uncle and niece or aunt and nephew are prohibited).
4. Both spouses must not be of French nationality.
5. Both spouses must not have resident status in France or its territories.
6. Both spouses must be physically present during the marriage ceremony to give their consent.
7. The bride and the groom should each choose witnesses – at least one each, but no more than two, who are 18 years of age or older. A translator/interpreter should be present at the ceremony.
What documents are required?
Please find below the list of documents required by the City Hall of Faa’a, Tahiti, for your wedding application in French Polynesia:
1. Proof of identity of both spouses: a copy of their passports, for example.
2. Proof of residence for both spouses (electricity or telephone bill). These documents provide evidence that the spouses do not reside in France or its territories.
3. Letter signed and dated by both spouses, addressed to the mayor of Faa’a, Tahiti, for the marriage ceremony. 
4. The Marriage of Foreign Citizens in French Polynesia form will be sent to you by the concierge. The form must be completed and signed. Then, it will need to be sent back to the concierge via e-mail. The concierge will then submit the form to the mayor’s office.
5. If applicable, a Certificate of Publication and Non-Opposition to Marriage, issued by a French Consulate or a Foreign Authority [the French general instruction on civil status rules (§539-1) includes a chart which indicates the countries in which publication of the banns is mandatory] must be submitted.
6. Full copy of each spouse's Birth Certificate. The certificates must have been issued less than six months prior to the date of the ceremony.
7. If applicable, a Death Certificate of the former spouse of a widow or widower must be submitted.
8. If applicable, any marriage contract or Notary Certificate of the spouses must be submitted.
The above documents must be translated into French by an approved official translator and authenticated in conformity with the laws of each spouse's country of origin. You may send the above documents to official translators in your country, who will need to make all the translations and then send us all the documents to finalise your application. We recommend you send the original documents via international post with a tracking number.
NB: If the above-mentioned documents provided as required by French law do not allow for the mayor to verify that all the required conditions are met (for example, in some countries there is no mention in the margin of the Birth Certificate that indicates the existence of a previous marriage), he may request additional documentation for that purpose, or a customary certificate issued by the authorities of the country of origin.
How long should my application take?
The duly completed file including the above mentioned documents must be sent to the InterContinental Tahiti Resort Concierge at least 120 days prior to the date of the wedding ceremony. They will then coordinate with the City Hall of Faa’a, Tahiti.
How will the ceremony take place?
Once the file is complete and handed over, the banns will be called and notice of the forthcoming marriage will be posted at the City Hall of Faa’a, Tahiti, at least 10 days prior to the ceremony. The day of the wedding, the spouses, their parents, guests and the witnesses will be taken to attend the ceremony in the City Hall of Faa’a, Tahiti.
The mayor (or representative) will carry out the ceremony in the presence of at least two witnesses, and if required, in the presence of a translator/interpreter convened by the mayor prior to the ceremony. The ceremony will be held in public, the doors of the town hall remaining open at all times. After a welcome speech, the mayor (or representative) will read the articles of the Civil Code which state the duties of each spouse. He or she will however indicate that the applicable matrimonial regime will be the one of the country of origin of each of the spouses. The mayor will then ask if the spouses have drawn up a marriage contract, after which he will ask for the consent of the spouses to the marriage. The bride and the groom will then each answer oui to the question whether they would take each other as husband and wife (and yes in response to the English version of the question). The rings will then be exchanged and the register signed by the spouses.
After the marriage ceremony, a French Family Record Book (Livret de Famille) will be delivered by the mayor to the spouses. The Record Book will allow the spouses to prove that a wedding ceremony was held.
Is there anything I need to do when I get back to my country?
The spouses are responsible for contacting their national authorities to enquire as to how the marriage must be recorded under their country’s laws and regulations.